Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Recovery

Perhaps the most critical aspect to training outside of the gym is recovery. That is, how do you recover from the exertion in the gym? Doing so isn't a drink, it isn't a special protocol, is basically a combination of sleeping, eating, and resting. This blog post gets more into the details:

Recovery Strategies

It's worth the read. Just about the only disagreement I have is with his recommendation of ibuprofen. I've become slowly convinced that "vitamin I" (as it is sometimes called) is precisely what you don't want for recovery unless you are suffering from actual debilitating inflammation. I generally avoid it now, although the Costco-sized container of it that I have shows I was not always this way. I rely more on sleep, fish oil, and if I'm genuinely in pain a tab or two of aspirin, but otherwise . . . I avoid the NSAIDs. Still, I agree pretty much across the board with the rest of the article. Eat right, supplement wisely (and not excessively), and get some rest and your recovery will be well in hand.

Stu Ward linked to this article over on the EXRX forums. I'm glad he did, this is an excellent blog from what I've read so far. Thanks Stu!
Tell a Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...