Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

PN Ice Cream, my take

Dr. John Berardi at Precision Nutrition posted an article with his own ice cream recipe a while back.

I've experimented around and settled on my own recipe. I love Muscle Milk - which he uses - but I don't currently have any in my protein closet. So I did my own mix. Here it is:

Makes 1 serving.
2 cups of ice cubes
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (I use vanilla, but chocolate should be better!)
1 tbsp of crunchy unsalted peanut butter (I use Trader Joe's, but any will do)
1/2 square of 100% cacao chocolate (Lindt or Ghiradelli are recommended)
1 scoop of ON 100% Casein protein
1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
1/2 scoop of Amazing Grass Chocolate Greens powder(optional)

This has roughly 25g of protein and all of 11g of carbs, plus 20g of fat. You can bump up the protein by adding another 1/2 scoop of the chocolate protein powder, which will also add about 1.5g more carbs and 0.5g more fat. The greens powder gets you a bit more nutrition than you would otherwise, and the coconut oil I throw in because it adds a bit of coconut flavor.

Be sure not to blend it past 30 seconds, because the heat from the blender will melt the ice cream. Re-freezing it sounds much better than it actually works out to be, but you can try if you over-blend it. At that point, though, it's better to add a straw and call it a malted milkshake.

You'll need a good blender for this. I have access to a VitaMix, but a BlendTec might work too...I just wouldn't bet on a cheap blender as this is thick, thick, thick. But good. Best thing for me is that it's very chocolatey and sweet but still fits into a low-carb diet plan such as I use on my non-workout days.

Tell a Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...