Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tax Soda, Subsidize Vegetables

You may have seen this article by Mark Bittman about the (increasingly popular) idea of taxing unhealthy foods.

But if you don't live near New York City, you might have missed this radio interview, on the Leonard Lopate show:

Mark Bittman interview

It's an idea that's coming, no matter how you feel about it. I know I have my doubts - what government thinks is "healthy" and "unhealthy" often lags the nutritionists, who often lag the cutting edge. I'd hate to see "unhealthy" foods like butter, eggs (both saturated fat bombs), protein powder (processed!), or meat (more fat!) taxed. But if it's soda and sugary snacks . . . I have less of an issue. The people who overeat soda and sugary snacks tend to pass on their medical costs to me, so it's not a cost-free issue for society.



Tell a Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...