Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Monday, August 22, 2011

My Plate

The idea of taking eating advice from Uncle Sam instead of mom and pop has been on a few people's mind recently. Probably because of the recent revision of the "food pyramid" into the "food plate" graph.

The irony of learning how to eat from a government agency whose main job is to help the producers instead of the consumers is already pretty sharp.

Personally, I've done well doing the opposite of everything I learned to be healthy eating during the 80s and 90s. So the government recommendations always seem to be "advise from the dark side" or bizarro world advice to me. Apparently I am not the only one, as both a Cressey Performance intern and Precision Nutrition have taken a crack at how to eat. So has Jason Nunn:

Healthy Food Options: Why You Should Never Take Nutrition Advice From Your Government

Precision Nutrition MyPlate

Is a Calorie Really A Calorie?


I do believe in being informed, but I'm not a fan of perpetuating incorrect information by passing it along. Even "myth busting" tends to reinforce the myth through repetition. So I'm not even bothering to link to the official myplate, just to the "corrected" versions by people with a better track record for producing healthy clients.

Tell a Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...