Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Self-Sabotage at the Gym, Part II

In Part I, I talked about conflicting goals.

What if you have your goals aligned, is your plan aligned with those goals?

#2: Following the wrong plan for your goals. If your goal is muscle gain, a cardio-heavy routine is not optimal for your goals. A powerlifting routine isn't optimal for fat loss. A fat loss routine is not optimal for getting ready to run the New York Marathon. You aren't sabotaging yourself, but you are taking the wrong path.

The reason is that these plans don't get you where you are trying to go. The best plan ever for a powerlifter isn't going to be the best plan for fat loss.

You need to ask yourself - does my plan fit my goals? Does it even go where I want to go?

Tell a Friend

2 comments:

  1. Clear and concise. I like it and part 1 too. Jay Ferruggia recently had a blog on cardio for fat loss. It's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I haven't looked at Jason Ferruggia's blog lately. Thanks for reminding me I should.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...