Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Glider Body Saw

Recently I've begun to do an exercise called the glider body saw. "Glider" from "furniture slider" or a glide pad, "body saw" because it looks like you're sawing a log with your body. Since the name isn't that common, I had to track down a video when someone asked what they were. Here it is:



I first heard of these from my boss at work, but also saw them here:
The Best Ab Exercises (T-Muscle, not W/FS)

Why would I do these? These are a good substitute for an ab wheel exercise or other anti-extension core exercise. They are a good step up from planks, too - you need to hold a good plank first.

How do I do these in my program? I've done them for reps and for time. Either seems very effective in achieving a training effect - improved performance in this exercise the next time and in other exercises over time - so I don't think there is any "special" way you need to program them.


Tell a Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...