Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Monday, July 6, 2009

John Christy

One of my favorite writers on the topic of strength training was John Christy. He sadly passed away this April. I was shocked and saddened to learn of his death.

John Christy had a straightforward writing style, to the point of being blunt. Here's a sample, from Why Aren't I Getting Any Bigger?

#1. Your eating is lousy.

I know, I know, “you eat all the time”, “you eat like a horse”, “I eat a ton – I just have a fast metabolism”, “I just burn everything off”. Yada, yada, yada. As your coach, my response would be “No you don't or you would be bigger.”


Unfortunately, some of his best technical articles - about muscular hypertrophy, rest between sets, and the number of sets to do - are offline. I'll keep looking for them, as they really helped me organize my training. For now, enjoy his blunt admonitions on how to get bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...