Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A round too far

The trick to training, if there is one, is to do enough to trigger an optimal training response without doing so much you set yourself back.

Easier said than done!

I went just one round too many in sparring this past Sunday...and suffered an injury as a result. I was tired, but I felt like I had a little bit left in me . . . but it was too little. A strong move by my partner ended with a knee in my ribs and a rib injury that will take me out of training for about a week. One extra round Sunday, costing me rounds and rounds of training in the long run. That's the trouble with trying to maximize, instead of optimize, your training. I went one extra round because I though it was possible - not optimal, but possible.

I'll be thinking about this as I rest up this week.

That said, Strength Basics will resume normal posting tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...