Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Monday, April 17, 2017

If you had to start with two free e-Books, which two?

If I had to point people to two free PDFs to get started lifting and eating right, I'd go with these two:


From the Ground Up, by Dan John (reviewed here).

and

Fuck Calories!, by Krista Scott-Dixion

Why FTGU?

Because you have to start somewhere, and we don't really know where to begin. Dan John teaches athletes, and teaches Olympic lifts - but he also teaches solid basics.

I don't generally think Olympic lifts are for everyone, but I do think that understanding the concepts of those lifts is valuable. When it comes to a free ebook that explains what you are to do, why, and how, FTGU has everything covered.

Why FC?

Because when you are starting out, two things are in your way:

- what you think you know

- your habits

Cleaning up "what you think you know" is hard. We are bombarded literally every day with diet and diet-related news, tips, and most difficult yet, choices to make. What do I eat? Is this good for me? I heard I need more protein. I heard that this fat is good for you. I was told to eat more calories so I burn more, but also to eat less calories to lose weight - which is it? And so on and so on. Nevermind food labels, ad campaigns, and Photoshopped models pushing foods they didn't eat and supplements they didn't take to get like they did in the pictures.

FC helps by basically saying, "Here are the things to pay attention to about your body and how it reacts to what you put in it." But even more basically, more directly, and more usefully than how I just put it.

Those are the two free ebooks I'd recommend if you had to start with just free ebooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...