Strength Basics

Getting stronger, fitter, and healthier by sticking to the basics. It's not rocket science, it's doing the simple stuff the right way. Strength-Basics updates every Monday, plus extra posts during the week.

Friday, July 3, 2009

DIY Sandbags

One of my favorite training tools is the sandbag. It's just a heavy canvas bag filled with sand, which you can use for a wide variety of exercises.

But first, you need to have a sandbag. Commercial sandbags are available, but not a cheap as "bag full of sand" sounds like it should be.

Fortunately, Dan John has a "recipe" for a DIY sandbag. That issue of his "Get Up!" newsletter also includes a number of sandbag exercises to use for your homemade bag.

I haven't tried Dan John's method yet. My substitute sandbag has been my canvas heavy bag, which is terrifically hard to grip but fun to swing around. But it's on my to-do list...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...